Saturday, June 25, 2022

Where's the ketchup?

by Michele Zincone

 As much as we are enjoying the lovely South African cuisine, our group found ourselves craving some American favorites, so we stopped for grilled cheese and french fries at Wimpy's - yum!  But as we began to dig in, we looked for ketchup for our fries only to find tomato sauce!  What?! This can't be right. Maybe the ketchup is called tomato sauce?   So we tried it;  definitely not ketchup.  It was tomato sauce.  That's not what I wanted, I whined.  Can I even eat these fries without ketchup??  Ugh!  Pretty pathetic, right?  Of course I can, so I added some extra salt and enjoyed.

Often we find ourselves gravitating towards what is comfortable or what we know and we have expectations that follow.  We can't even imagine doing things differently.  But sometimes we need to change our course or make different decisions than usual and with that can come some pretty amazing discoveries.  I didn't know if I could travel so far without my family or if I could be away from work for this time - I enjoy my routine!  But had I not taken this journey to South Africa, I wouldn't have had the privilege of meeting all of the wonderful people that I have: Meyer, Louise, Salome, Stephanie, Cornel, Lizette, Surette, the children...and the list goes on!  The faith that I witness from these amazing humans is inspiring and I am blessed that God led me to them.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Chosen

by Cammy Brantzeg  We arrived in the US this morning around 6:00 am in Newark, NJ.  It is around 8:00 pm right now and I feel like I have be...